Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My Home Networking Setup Part 2

After several weeks of hit and misses, finally I come to enable home PC remote desktop in office. :) There is no way I can remote access from my office using RDP, VPN, OPENVPN or OPENSSH as my company firewall is too strict. Initially I was trying Timbuktu but it doesn't support Vista at the moment, and web based LogMeIn has been blocked by the company proxy. Luckily I found a free collaboration software called TeamViewer while surfing in Skype forum.
For this, all I need to do is install it and get the ID and Password on the host PC I want to access and once I entered the details, then TeamViewer will establish a secure connection to the host. Simple and easy. It eliminates the effort to setup RDP, VPN, OPENVPN, OPENSSH or DDNS.

ID & Password is auto generate. But I found the ID is static even after reboot

VPN to access share folder

File Sharing


The only problem with this is getting the password if you intend to leave your home for long. But my workaround is to setup a screen grab at an interval using SnagIt then save it as picture and put it in a ftp server. All I need to do is access my ftp server and check the picture for password.

SnagIt with capture timer setting


I just found out a static password is possible from the options dialog. Now it is getting simplier.


I can confirm the ID remain static, but to make sure the Connection ID doesn't change will not at home, the best way is to grab the ID in TeamViewer log file at C:\Documents and Settings\[YOURNAME]\Application Data\TeamViewer\TeamViewer3_Logfile.log

05/08 08:55:25.515 5660 D CCT.Connect.master.dyngate.com:80
05/08 08:55:25.562 5660 D S3 master.dyngate.com - CT0 NC.CHttp.Conned
05/08 08:55:25.562 5660 D S3 master.dyngate.com - CCT.Connected
05/08 08:55:25.562 5660 D ! S3 master.dyngate.com - CT6 CT.Send.CMD_MASTERCOMMAND From=[YOURID]To=0 L=261
05/08 08:55:25.625 5660 D ! S3 master.dyngate.com - CT6 CT.Receive.CMD_MASTERRESPONSE From=0 To=[YOURID] L=4
05/08 08:55:25.625 5660 D S3 master.dyngate.com - CT6 CT.Term

And the best place to put the log file is in the ftp server where it is easily accessible.

No comments: